A workshop series for coal and energy campaigners in East and Southeast Asia.
Applications are now open for the Campaign Strategy Fellowship, a new training program to equip and empower coal and energy campaigners in East and Southeast Asia.
The Fellowship will help build the skills of coal and energy campaigners to fast-track the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy. The program will use a popular education approach so that campaigners will have the opportunity to learn from each other and build relationships across the region.
Through a series of residential workshops, the Fellowship will:
- Share skills and knowledge about what’s working
- Help you strengthen your campaigns though learning from each other, our facilitators and external resource people
- Expand your toolkit for campaign planning, strategy development and movement building
- Build and refine skills to develop compelling online and offline communication strategies
- Deepen our connection with other coal and climate campaigners
- Grow networks and alliances to drive the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy
Who is it for?
The Fellowship has been designed for current and future leaders in the coal and climate movement in East and Southeast Asia. Applicants will be staff and full-time volunteers in non government organisations that work on coal and climate, with at least 2 years’ campaign experience and a proven dedication to the movement. Applications are open to people from all countries in East and SE Asia.
Residential workshop retreats
The Fellowship involves three residential workshops, two months apart to allow time to apply new skills and tools. In 2018, we’re offering one series of workshops for 16 Indonesian campaigners and a second workshop series for 16 campaigners from around East and Southeast Asia. The Indonesian workshops will be delivered in Bahasa Indonesia. The regional series will be delivered in English. Workshops will be held in a remote rainforest retreat in Bali.
2018 workshop dates
Regional workshop series (delivered in English): 13-19 July (7 days); 26-30 September (5 days); and 2-6 December (5 days). Indonesian workshop series (delivered in Bahasa Indonesia): 22-28 July (7 days); 3-7 October (5 days); and 9-13 December (5 days).
The three workshops will deepen and extend your knowledge and skills in:
- Campaign strategy
- Analysing our social and political context
- Facilitation and working well in teams
- Recruitment and leadership development
- Building alliances, networks and movements
- Relational organising and the power of story
- Civil resistance and peaceful protest
- Staying strong when the going gets hard
- Designing and facilitating workshops
- Communication strategy, messaging and framing
- Online organising
About our team
The Fellowship is being led by an international team with extensive experience in the Asia Pacific region including James Whelan and Jason MacLeod (The Change Agency) with Alex Ryan and Rubby Emir (Hijau Biru Consulting).
We are campaigners, popular educators, mentors and coaches who specialise in campaign strategy, training and development. Our workshops encourage sharing, reflecting, listening and applying practical skills to current campaigns. We are guided by participants’ campaign experience, challenges and priorities. Our team are independent and not-for-profit, and work exclusively with social movement groups. During the year, workshop sessions will also be led by campaigners, strategists, communication experts and other guest presenters.
Workshop costs including accommodation and meals, local transport between Denpasar airport and our workshop venue and training materials are generously covered by the Fellowship’s sponsors. Participants or their organisations need to cover the cost of domestic and international travel. A very limited travel scholarship is available for participants who are unable to cover their travel.
To apply and for further information
Applications are by invitation only, and are due Monday 1 April. To discuss if the Fellowship is right for you and your organisation, or if you have any questions, please contact Alex (Bahasa Indonesia speaker).
Download the application form in English here >
Download the application form in Bahasa Indonesia here >