To build a powerful, winning movement requires trained and committed organisers who can mobilise Australians around shared values, influence the political process and engage communities to win campaigns.
The Community Organising Fellowship is an exciting initiative that equips community leaders and non-government organisations’ staff with the skills they need to build community power to influence decision-makers.
From the civil rights movement in the United States to worker rights in Australia, effective organising has been at the heart of countless winning campaigns.
Training is crucial
Training is crucial
The Community Organising Fellowship is a significant investment in deepening campaign strategy and community organising skills and practices. This Fellowship is for campaigners with political experience who have the capacity to develop and implement campaign strategies. It creates a cohort of highly skilled and effective organisers.
- Equipping 25 organisers with core skills needed to confidently plan and implement local campaigns on various scales
- Three experiential residential workshops. In previous years, these have been held in March, June and September, in Sydney and near Melbourne. While Covid-19 remains a risk, the Fellowship will utilise alternative teaching and learning arrangements consistent with health authorities’ advice.
- A structured curriculum that covers a wide range of topics
- Mentoring and network support between and after workshops and
- An extensive collection of training materials shared online and the knowledge to bring trainings to your community.
These components empower participants to develop and support community leaders to engage thousands of people in local campaigns. Members of our coordination team and reference group are activist educators and social movement leaders who bring decades of experience to the program. We have an experienced education and facilitation team for the program and bring in specialised speakers and experts throughout the year.
Applications for the 2021 Fellowship are open from 1 August to 30 September 2020. Apply here.
Join a growing network of effective organisers that together will mobilise communities across Australia to accelerate the transition from fossil fuels.